Banner created with MyBannerMaker.com

Saturday 14 May 2011

The Calm Before The Beginning

Sitting here it's hard to comprehend my career so far really, 41 events, six final tables, two wins...from that it looks rather sad but to put it into context some have thousands and no finals to their name, so I count my blessings for this...the progression has been fast yet tearful all the same, flashes of brilliance, and ignorance in the space of an hour. The world at my feet one day, on my shoulders the next...it's been good for nearly two years and shows no sign of stopping...

Good too, it's going to take all that and more to prepare for this...

Monday spells the start of my actual career, while small events are the building blocks, only by national events will a mans achievements be recognised, years from now, decades even, they won't ask how my £25 freezeout win changed my life, or that read I stuck to to make the super 50 final table...no, never

They'll ask of championships, of major final tables, what tours, what locations amongst this vast world...they'll ask of bracelets, titles and achievements, winnings and profits. Yes, these are the tools with which all us players shall be judged, for that one day someone searches online, sees one of your titles and thinks "I want to play like him"...yes, then you have made it

I sit here today, fully aware of the task laid before me, to write the opening pages on this historic road, to etch my name into the annuls of a history yet to be carved, 2000 people stand in my way, friends and foes alike, to the survivors lay two more days of hard work. Blood sweat and tears will come from this I assure you

To those at the end lie brief fame, names in lights and interviews alike, but it all rests on the champion...for they will never be forgotten, the champion of the biggest event on this patch of land, to the victor goes the spoils, all 25,000 of them...immortality never forgotten, a life forever changed.

To underestimate the size, scale and effect of this tournament would be doing it an injustice, and one I have no intention of making. I am aware of what is before me, aware of what is required...to sum up all my skill, talent, courage and determination would set me apart from the rest...it's time to make this count

I don't feel destined to win, and amazingly can't vividly imagine the win...but I can see myself approaching the final, storms blazing, cameras flashing, people cheering, a table waiting...boy, it feels good to be this prepared

The calm before the beginning, storms aplenty, tears bountiful, passion unrivalled, skills yet untapped...a future yet to be written...
Well I've got the pen ready and the pages are waiting...shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment